Have you ever thought about visiting an eye clinic or optometry? Most of us do not visit an eye clinic until the vision problem occurs. Do you know our eyes are the most important and sensitive organ of our body? And the largest part of information is sent to our brain by our eyes. So these need a special care. And an optometrist plays an important role in diagnosing vision problems, treatments and prevention of the eye diseases. When you visit an eye clinic, an optometrist does some research about you. He asks you about your age, your profession and the vision issues that you are facing. Then he perform a comprehensive vision exam of your eyes, during vision exam, he diagnose your eye conditions and other symptoms of diseases. If any symptom is found, he will create a plan to manage it or prevent the risks of eye diseases.
Who can visit an optometry clinic?
People of all ages can visit an optometrist for comprehensive vision exams and prescription for eyeglasses and contact lenses.
For children, an optometrist can help in ensuring normal vision development.
For Adults, an optometrist plays a key role in keeping their prescription current and detecting early signs of eye diseases.
How can an optometrist help you?
An optometrist performs a comprehensive vision exam for prescription of eye glasses and contact lenses and diagnoses the vision problems and their causes. In addition to this, an optometrist also helps in determine:
- Refractive errors: These are some common vision problems that occur due to the shape of eyes. Refractive errors include nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. These errors can be fixed through eyeglasses and contact lenses.
- Amblyopia: The main reasons for this issue might be the difference in the prescription of both the eyes or may be due to eyes are turned. In this condition, the brain will start importing information the healthy eye and shut off the information from the blurry eye. Permanent vision impairment can be cause if not treated as Amblyopia may stunt the visual development of the affected eye. By patching the stronger eye for periods of time, amblyopia can be treated.
- Strabismus: Crossed or turned eyes are also called strabismus. In order to find out that your eyes are working together, the examiner may check the alignment. Problems with depth perception can be caused due to Strabismus and can lead to amblyopia.
- Eye teaming problems: The might be chances that your eyes don't work together as a team even if they appear to be aligned properly. Headaches, eye strain and other problems cause binocular vision problems that affect your reading and other near vision tasks.
- Focusing problems: Focusing problem is the most commonly disease founded in Children. An optometrist can diagnose this issue through eye exams.
- Other Eye diseases: You generally don't get to know about many diseases like glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy as they don't have any symptoms in the early stages. Doctor may check your eyes inside and outside for early signs by looking at your eye's blood vessels, retina and so forth. Permanent vision loss can be prevented if such eye diseases are detection and treatment at early stages. He may also tell you about the problems like high cholesterol, high blood pressure or other problems that may be developing.
When to visit an eye clinic?
As we said, most of us visit eye clinic when the things goes on worse conditions. We should implement routine eye exam into our lifestyle as a mandatory need. Because these not only help in diagnosing eyes condition ever these also help in maintaining a good eye health.