Healthy eyesight is a realistic goal. Preventative medicine can help us to achieve it. This requires making the right decisions in terms of nutrition, awareness of our family’s medical history, safety tips and preventative measures that enable us to achieve healthy eyes that lasts us for a lifetime. When it comes to total eye care, these are helpful factors. Therefore, here are 7 essential vision care tips that show us effective ways to take care of our eyes.
1. Get a Dilated Eye Exam- according to the Centers for Disease Control, about 61 million Americans are at serious risk for eye related disorders and vision conditions. Yet, statistics show that less than 50% of the population has taken a comprehensive eye exam. This is essential as eye disorders such as Diabetes, Glaucoma and macular Degeneration may not often have warning signs. The eyes are helpful indicators of underlying medical issues that need to be detected early. In this light, according to the National Eye Institute, a specific type of eye dilated eye exam is the best way to detect eye disorders early.
2. Have knowledge of your family’s eye health history- You can simply do this by conducting research. For example, you can talk to family members about their eye health, and by finding out about their medical history, you can better determine the hereditary of eye diseases. This would provide a better indication of your risk factors.
3. Eat a diet that is rich in dark green leafy vegetables that improves your eye health. Many people find that it is not easy to eat foods that improve eyesight such as Broccoli, Spinach and Kale because eating is determined by emotion and taste preferences. These are not foods that are particularly appealing to our taste buds. To resolve this problem, research the web for creative and appetizing recipes that enable you to prepare healthy foods in a palatable way, in less time. Nutritional experts also recommend Omega- 3 rich foods such as Salmon, Tuna and Halibut to provide the proper nutritional support for the eyes. Here are other tips that show you how to take care of your eyes:
4. Wear protective eye wear – In order to safeguard your eyes, eye care experts recommend that you should wear protective eye wear to protect your eyes from damage while you are playing sports and performing work on your home that can be hazardous to your eyes. These include safety glasses, eye goggles, and eye guards.
5. Quit Smoking: Smoking is bad for your eye health and research has shown that it increases the risk of age related eye disorders like Macular Degeneration, Cataracts and also damages the optic nerve. This can have a negative effect on your eye health leading to vision loss.
6. Wear sunglasses- Here are 2 great benefits of wearing sunglasses: They make you look really cool and they also protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Choose sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection.
7. Get rest and relaxation- Give your eyes a break, especially after they have been exposed to the stress and tension that is associated with excessive close up activities like computer work, reading, studying etc.Here is a stress relieving eye exercise that can help you relieve stress and tension in the eye muscles.For this technique, you’ll need a bowl of warm water and a clean wash cloth. Find a quiet and comfortable room. Fill a bowl with warm water and soak the wash cloth in it until it is warm. Then, wring out the cloth thoroughly. Fold it 4 times and with your eyes closed, gently and lightly, place the warm washcloth over your closed eyes for a period of 5 minutes daily. This is an excellent relaxation technique that relieves stress and tension in the eyes while improving circulation to the visual system.
Ultimately, the application of nutritional and safety remedies for our eyes, combined with good knowledge of our family’s medical history, helps us to build a foundation that is necessary for better eyes that lasts us a lifetime.